Good morning! The second installment of Keeping up with Kelly is here! I have loved reading y’alls questions and I hope you are getting to know me better. As always, ask any questions either in the comments here, on instagram, or by e-mailing me at firstname.lastname@example.org <3
If you missed last week’s issue, check it out here.
1.What is your workout routine? How do you stay in shape?
I get asked this a lot, and I know I have addressed it a lot too…but as with most people, my workout routine is always changing! Currently, I have been doing a LOT more of an intense style of workout and I am loving the results. At least 3 times a week (Tuesday, Wednesday, & Thursday), I do HIIT cardio with weights. This means that I am “weight lifting” (squats, dumbbells, kettlebells, you name it!), but adding in much more cardio to the routine. I have significantly lowered the weight that I lift while going full force. I am way more exhausted after a workout and I feel all of my muscles working, growing, and toning!
Additionally, I still like to do the Stair Master. I usually do 30 minutes on the stair master once or twice a week. Then, on days that I am not doing the intense HIIT cardio, I will either do a regular weight lifting session or something of the like. My biggest tip is to MIX IT UP. If you are in a rut and tired of doing the same thing, do something new; even if that is only once a week.
If you live in Dallas, I have been going to a personal trainer and I love it! Message me if you want more details about that!
2. How do you find time to spend with the Lord? I feel like I am constantly too busy and in a rush!
This is something I think we all struggle with. Finding time to spend with the Lord should be something that is SO easy, but as humans, we often put other things in front or get “too busy” to find time. What has really helped me in this is waking up earlier and setting aside time to read my bible and do some kind of bible study. TRUST ME, I know it is hard. Y’all may thing blogging is easy, but I wake up and work on my blog for hours! My whole day is usually consumed with blogging, working out, and then blogging and dance. So I totally get it. What works best for me is giving yourself 30 extra minutes every morning and getting into The Word. This, in my opinion, is also the BEST way to start your day and get your perspective on the right track.
I also love listening to podcasts while I am driving or inspirational YouTube videos when I am getting ready! I have also switched over to only playing Christian music in my car. This helps SO MUCH.
3. What is your self-tanner routine?
Ah, self-tanner. I don’t care what anyone says, I love a good self tanner. I don’t want to be transparent, but I also love taking good care of my skin! I do enjoy being out in the sun and hanging out by the pool, but I definitely don’t do this every day.
For special occasions, I usually go to Planet Tan and get a spray tan. My favorite kind is the Mystic Tan; it gives you the most natural looking tan! You can customize the color based on your skin tone to get the most natural look. They also have upgraded their formula and now it doesn’t come off blotchy at all! At least on me. It is soooo gradual. I love it!
As for at home, I have been using this product for years. I am looking into trying other products just to test them out and give y’all a good review on them, so I will let you know in the future. But as of right now, that is my favorite product to use for the most natural looking tan.
4. How do you know whether or not to splurge on an item or save?
I get asked this question a lot too. When it comes to saving vs. splurging, it all really depends on the person! However, there are a couple things I think are quite universal and are a good guideline to follow.
- A good handbag that won’t go out of season. Something durable that will last you YEARS.
- Denim. A good pair of jeans is way better than having to buy multiple pairs, hating the way they look, having them stretch out throughout the day, etc. Invest in these.
- Basics. You always hear this, but basics will never go out of style. You will own that simple white tee for years. Instead of going to Forever21 and buying a new white tee every year or every other year, invest in a good quality item that can stay in your wardrobe for YEARS. That means a good nude heel, jeans, jackets, etc.
- “Trendy” Items. Do you really think the crop tops and see through tops are going to be in style in 2 years? Probably not. These are items you wear for a season and then get tired of wearing them. SAVE on these.
- Jewelry. This one might be debated. Some items, you should splurge on…like a good watch because it is “timeless” haha. But for the most part, a cute necklace, a fun ring, a statement earring…these items are all “trends”.
- Items you like. I know this is hard, but save on these items. There have been countless times that I go to a store or online and I fall in love with an adorable romper. I NEED it. You know that feeling. And I wear it for a season and then the next year I’m like…nah I’ll give it away. Before you buy something, really ask yourself it you will wear it for years to come. If not, totally fine, just SAVE on it.
5. When you go shopping, how do you know what to look for?
This can be so hard! A lot of girls come to me and ask me how I know what to shop for? How do I know what is going to be a hit? If you ever feel overwhelmed when shopping, here are a few tips I live by that REALLY help.
Get inspiration. Whether that is from your favorite blogger, pinterest, or a celebrity, find that inspiration. When you do this, you have a good idea about what your style is and where to start. Also, make a list of items you want in your closet! Before you go shopping, take inventory of what you already have. Find all of your basics first and then build your wardrobe from there. Stop wasting your time buying all of these trendy, fast-fashion items before you even have your staples.
Once you have your staples, it is so important to discover and understand your style. We all have different styles, which is SO awesome…but you have to remember to stay true to yourself. For instance, I have a twin sister. We have completely different styles. So, if we were both trying to get a leather jacket, the one I would gravitate towards would be opposite of the one she would gravitate towards. Go into a store knowing what style you like and what you are looking for. Don’t get caught up in what everyone else is buying because then once you get home, you’ll never wear it because it is not truly YOU. As Elle Woods says, “being true to yourself never goes out of style“.
I hope I answered y’alls questions well! We only have 2 more Q&A sessions until this series is over! Feel free to ask me ANYTHING in the comments below, via e-mail, or on instagram. Love y’all and thanks for reading!